Friday 9 March 2012

Orchid - to be saved.


Spathoglottis - sounds more like a disease.  But it is a little ground orchid, native to a range of places including norther Australia.

I bought a pot from Bunnings recently and it has been flowering well and now has a new flower bud reaching to the top of the plants.  I will need to repot it - it does seem to be struggling in the little pot it came in, so will do that, perhaps after the bud has bloomed.

It is reported to be 'vulnerable' in northern Australia but the commercial growing of it will help to ensure that it lives on.

ps.  (March 12th)  I am glad I took the photo above - as now the flower, thanks to a couple of feasting grubs which have decimated the flower and the new bud, it looks pretty awful.  I might just buy a new one and keep it inside the house.

No comments: