Thursday 13 March 2014

Amazing Lake of Lotus

Lotus is not seen very much in Australia, but I recall seeing many beautiful lakes in China with gorgeous displays of these flowers.  During the dormant part of their life there is nothing to see - in the lake near the entrance to the university where I worked in Shaoxing, there were pots sitting on the base of the pond - lined with tiles I might add - and frogs and fish would often appear to be sleeping on the soil that was in the pot.  Nothing else - until suddenly leaves started to protrude from the pot.

The leaves would grow up to 4 feet or so, and eventually an amazing bud would appear, which soon opened up to reveal a perfect flower.

I remember that a few years ago I found some Lotus growing near Gumdale (Brisbane, Queensland)  in a dam and I visited occasionally to take photos.

Honestly, I can't recall seeing them anywhere else.

One day recently I found a huge display of Lotus - though sadly I had come across them towards the end of their flowering season - at seaside Sandstone Point, in Queensland.  The afternoon I saw them I was actually running late for a meeting, and as I hadn't been in the are before I had missed a turn off.  Despite being late, I stopped the car, grabbed my camera and took nearly 10 minutes to take some photos.

I have been back several times, but the flowering season is at an end, and the  buds and flowers that protrude from the huge leaves are few and far between.  I think the best time to see them at their best would be late December or early January.  I will make a note to myself to visit this spot in 2015 after Christmas.




The buds and flowers are so perfect that it is no wonder that the Lotus flower appears in religious texts e.g. Hindu.  There is much myth around the flower too.


No comments: