Saturday 19 April 2014

Orchids

I love my orchids.  Once upon a time I would have though they were too difficult to grow, but have learned over time that I can and I have had some great success.

I first came to own orchids when we lived in Sydney way back in 1972  - we rented a house north of Sydney and the lady of the house was a keen orchid grower.  She was concerned that her orchids would be neglected during her overseas holiday and our rental period there, so I was keen to see them at least survive.  When she returned she was pleased that not only had they survived but by some divine good luck I suspect, they were flourishing.  She gave me several pots.  Over the years I have kept them growing, though there was a period when I was travelling that they didn't get my good care and some died.

When I moved to Beachmere, I brought some of them with me.  Eventually my fernhouse arrived and they flourish in there.

The photos are of catteleya orchids.  I have them adorning my house.





No comments: