Thursday 16 August 2007

The Adelaide Markets

Adelaide Markets Flower Stall

One of my special visits when I am in Adelaide - is to visit the Adelaide markets. They are quite historic and I don't think have changed much in all the years I've known them.

When I was a child, my parents would not have visited the markets - as this is where the Italians and Greeks sold their wares - from strange gourmet foods, to the fresh fruit and vegetables that were grown in the many market gardens around the city. It certainly wasn't "trendy" as it has been for quite a few years.

The fruit and vegetables are the freshest, there are fish marekts, butchers, bakers, mushroom growers, gourmet food producers, wine cellar, and of course fresh flowers to be purchased at the markets.

I always like to see the flowers as there are often flowers there that we do not see here in Brisbane.

One flower that I noticed was Iceland Poppies - I've certainly never seen them in the florist shops in Brisbane.

No comments: